This mushroom risotto recipe with its conventional “stand and stir” technique goes “old school.” This process can take a little more time, but the outcomes are well worth the effort.
Do not be tempted to substitute other forms of rice when making this recipe because they will not produce the coveted rich, creamy texture you are seeking.
TIP: The majority of grocery stores carry Arborio rice, or you can find it conveniently online.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 T. unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 t. dried thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. Arborio rice
- ½ c. dry white wine
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 t. fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken or vegetable broth until hot.
- Reduce heat to simmer and keep warm.
- Add olive oil, one tablespoon butter, and garlic to a large, high-sided skillet.
- Turn heat to medium and sauté for approximately one minute, or until garlic softens.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms and dried thyme.
- Cook until mushrooms soften and release liquid, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining butter.
- Add Arborio rice and sauté until thoroughly coated approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and stir constantly until the wine is completely absorbed.
- Add one cup of warm broth to the pan and stir constantly until it is completely absorbed.
- Repeat with remaining broth, one cup at a time, until it is all incorporated and the rice has achieved a rich, creamy consistency, approximately 25-30 minutes. (For a creamier texture, add more broth until the desired results are achieved).
- Remove from heat and stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary.
- Add mushrooms and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary, if desired.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Note: If you buy anything through the links on this page, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. We recommend only products we genuinely like. Thank you so much.